Monday, January 18, 2016

The True Meaning of Dr. King Day


I just received the ad posted above as an email a few minutes ago. Can you believe it? Of course you can.

CHARLIE BROWN: Isn't there anyone who knows what Martin Luther King Day is all about???

LINUS: Sure, Charlie Brown, I can tell you what Martin Lutler King Day is all about....Lights please?

"From every mountainside, let freedom ring!
`
And if America is to be a great nation, this must be true.
`
And so let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire!
`
Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York!
`
Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania!
`
Let freedom ring from the snow-capped Rockies of Colorado!
`
Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of California!
`
But not only that -
`
Let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia!
`
Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee!
`
Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi!
`
From every mountainside, Let Freedom ring!"

LINUS: That's what Martin Luther King Day is all about, Charlie Brown.

They have trivialized the birthday of Jesus Christ. Is anyone terribly surprised that the money-changers would do the same thing to Martin Luther King? I ask you....

Have a grand 'n' dandy Dr. King Day, folks!

Tom Degan
Goshen, NY
tomdegan@frontiernet.net 

SUGGESTED READING:

Let the Trumpet Sound: The Life of Martin Luther King, Jr.
by Stephen B. Oates

AFTERTHOUGHT:
`
I have a record of some of Dr. King's speeches (Yeah, I still listen to vinyl - so sue me!) Sometimes, when I'm feeling depressed about my country (which, fortunately, is only when I'm sober) I'll give it a listen. Whatever my frustration level may be when I drop the needle on Side One, by the time the tone arm of my turntable edges its way down the play-out groove of Side Two, I always end up feeling a little better about America. That we can produce a man such as this is cause for hope, I suppose. Maybe, just maybe, such a person is within out midst at this very moment; gently reaching out to the better angels of our nature. Maybe we're just not listening.
.
Shh....Listen....

14 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Blogger Darrell Michaels said...

Good post, Tom. I too share your frustration. Indeed it is my prayer that we all let freedom ring. It is my prayer that we take Dr. King's words to heart and that we judge all men by the content of their character and not by the color of their skin. If we only would...

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Tom Degan said...

We're working on it, T. Paine, although the pace is glacial.

 
At 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Washington and Lincoln had "white" day sales long before MLK ever marched for anything. To try and claim MLK is the only true leader, is BS. To try and claim he is the only figure forgotten by a retail sales day, is factually wrong. But thanks for your liberal, crying, false rendition of history.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Darrell Michaels said...

Anonymous, I don't see where Mr. Degan ever claimed that MLK was the only true leader or the only one forgotten by another day to have "Sales". Look at the spirit of what Tom said. It is hard to argue with. I don't agree with some of Dr. King's politics, but his civil rights record was unimpeachable. The fact that today He is trivialized for the purpose of commerce is indeed a sad statement. THAT is what I got out of Mr. Degan's post. Perhaps you are looking too hard to find something over which to be argumentative. Perhaps that is something better saved for an issue worthy of arguing over. ...at least that is my humble opinion. Cheers!

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous James Hansen said...

I was just reading a couple of articles on AOL about the catastrophe in Flint where 100,000 people were drinking water for 1 1/2 years with up to 13000 ppm lead content. The forum was filled with racist that were happy that so many black children were damaged permanently by the lead tainted water. It seemed every third poster used the term "nigger" and 80% of the posters over all had a lot of hate for black people.
Needless to say none of those posters will be voting for Bernie Sanders.

Things have not changed all that much since MLK at all.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Darrell Michaels said...

Mr. Hansen, I share your sadness and disgust at such ignorant people making such hateful and racist statements.

That said, I lived in Virginia and North Carolina for quite a few years. Let me tell you that there are indeed many racist Democrats too. Don't be so quick to assume that those people are all GOP supporters, sir.

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous James Hansen said...

I have always thought by it's very definition Liberal means you are not racist. In the 20 years I have been involved in politics I can not remember meeting a racist Liberal. I guess they exist but I think it fair to say they would be a smaller minority than on the Conservative side. No insult intended to you T.Paine just reality as I see it.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well said Mr. Paine,

If Mr. Hansen's understanding is correct then if bad things happen to white children, democrats would be happy.

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think I owe the REAL Mr, Hansen an apology, I'm sure that the post under his name was not his. Someone was stealing his name.

Sorry James, I know you couldn't be that stupid.

Chuck

 
At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you have your nose to far up Tom's ass Mr. Paine, a pseudonym insulting to the real Thomas Paine, but your delusions are just as hilarious are Tom's.

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Darrell Michaels said...

Anonymous, whoever the hell you are, if you have paid even scant attention to the comments on this blog you will see that very RARELY do I ever agree with Mr. Degan. That said, when he is correct, I am not going to rail against him just because he is a progressive. We need to build areas where we can find legitimate compromise, and then work hard for our ideals that are contrary to the dangerous notions of the left. Regardless, Mr. Degan is not the enemy. He is simply misguided on some of his politics. Your juvenile and sophomoric diatribes do little to further the right's good ideas. Indeed your nonsense causes us to lose credibility. If you wish to call people names and demean them as people, perhaps you should return to the school yard with the rest of the bullies until you can learn your lesson there, sir. Hillary and Barack will meet you there.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Dave Dubya said...

Tom,
It's the sad truth that holidays are heavily co-opted by commercial interests. While they want to appear to be celebrating the day, it's really just the same old, "Hurry, hurry, hurry! Sale! Sale! Sale!" pitch, as they force their employees to work on those days.

TP,
If you wish to call people names and demean them as people, perhaps you should return to the school yard with the rest of the bullies until you can learn your lesson there, sir. Hillary and Barack will meet you there.

As someone called a commie, and worse, by your name-stealing buddy "Chuck", I agree.

In addition to the two hypocrites and corporatists you mentioned, I would add, as another misguided observer, Rove, Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Hannity, Beck, Coulter et al to that group of name-calling bullies. And in further bi-partisanship, I would certainly add Democrat Rahm Emanuel to this list.

The list is far too long to fill this space.


 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

LOL, look who's crying cause they were called a name?

It's Dave.

 
At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right Paine in the ass, that's why his title is an add for retail sales on MLK day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home